My first visit to the high deserts of Joshua Tree changed me. There's something about that place that feels wild and free and makes me feel like my true self. It has a creative energy that imbues every landscape, experience and moment with a grand sense of inspiration and awe.
So when we came across the Cholla Garden in Joshua Tree National Park, with its forest of chest-high, many-armed cacti on the edge of a barren desert basin, it was unlike any place I had ever seen.
Aside from their almost fuzzy texture, the colors really struck me - their deeply colored base gave way to dark green fingers reaching out every direction with chartreuse spines extending even further outwards to bright white tips.
The Cholla Quilt, with its unpredictable bursts of linen and outwards-reaching hand stitching, retains some order with a bandana-inspired pattern and further nods to the West with a soft indigo chambray backing. Sized for a full or queen size bed, the Cholla Quilt can also be wall mounted as large-scale textile art.
- 76" x 76" (full or queen size)
- Front: machine-pieced 7.5oz Belgian linen
- Back: indigo chambray
- Hand-quilted with cotton embroidery thread
- Colors: black, forest, chartreuse, cream, chambray and rust
- Lightweight unbleached cotton batting
- Made in Texas
- Care: Hand wash in cold water with a mild detergent. Hang or lay flat to dry.